Richard's Auto Electrical Torque Converter Lockup Kit
- Toyota Landcruiser VDJ200 – 1VD-FTV 6 Speed Auto (2007-Current)
Available for the following:
- Toyota Landcruiser 200 Series – 6 Speed Automatic.
- Toyota Prado 2.8L – 6 Speed Automatic.
- Toyota Hilux 2.8L – 6 Speed Automatic.
- Toyota Prado 3.0L - 5 Speed Automatic.
Torque Converter Lock up Kit
The principle of this modification is to achieve more direct drive from the transmission. By locking the torque converter we can prevent the constant hunting caused by locking and unlocking the converter. It is important we still maintain the factory driveability of the vehicle and this is why we choose to only lock the converter above 80km/h automatically. Below 70km/h the trans can tend to lug as it selects a taller gear and relies on the converter to slip. We have a secondary automatic low speed mode available to lock below this speed and when used in conjunction with the active select mode you can manually hold it down a gear and achieve engine breaking downhills.
Each kit supplied includes a speed sensing controller that controls when the lockup is on or off. This controller has two channels which has allowed us to create dual speed automatic modes.
We pre-program the default speeds which will work out of the box. these speeds are approx:
- Low Speed Lock – 35km/h
- Low speed un-lock 30km/h
- Auto – Speed Lock – 80km/h
- Auto – Speed un-lock – 75km/h
The Lockup Kit:
- Reduces transmission temperatures up to 50 degrees C.
- Prevents the slipping action and gear shuffling.
- Reduces fuel usage when towing 3T caravan. Increases distance/ range.
- 100% engine Breaking achievable downhill, 2nd gear and above.
- Fully Automatic.
Frequently asked questions
- Allow 3-4 hours to complete install.
- The Switch included is a Dual Factory Switch that fits directly into the factory switch panels.
- Difference with our kit is we use constant 12v signal not PWM (pulse width modulation) – PWM still gives slippage which causes heat. Ours is 100% locked at the converter within our automatic speed settings.
- Our controller is easily programmed with LCD screen and buttons no second guessing with a screw type PWM controller to get speed settings right.